My final photographic project for my degree is focused around this bike and the more I work with it, the more I have been trying to get a good photograph by experimenting as much as I can with lighting. Regular readers will have seen a previous attempt, but here I waited until dusk, put the bike in the middle of the road and lit it was a series of light bursts from my SB-800 flash gun. It worked really well in my opinion.
I really wanted to get a good photo of Mark’s new beast but this was the best I got. To be fair we were in a bit of a rush, but I feel I can do a lot better than the above example. Next time I am definitely going to use more diffused flash, a longer exposure and have the camera on a tripod. I think it would also be worth experimenting with more locations and maybe some ultra wide angle close ups etc. I do like the graffiti background, but with the low light I got a lot of distracting reflections of street lights on the bike – hence the orange glow. This almost stopped me publishing this image, but in the end at least when I get a really good photo of the bike you will see what I did differently second time around.
Yesterday Mark and I got the train to Glossop for our annual “climb to the top of Snake Pass with as little pushing the bike as possible” trip. Obviously I had to get off my bike a couple of times as I am so unfit. Luckily we were on a mission to find locations for a new and rather large portrait project I am working towards. The above photo gives you a clue as to what this series of photos may or may not include. This is the handlebar of Mark’s Scott mountain bike. I’m sure he will give us the full details of the model etc in the comments.
A very European scene here and a new post processing method I wanted to try. My friend Chris was over at my flat on Monday night and asked me if it was possible in Photoshop to turn a photo black and white, but keep the red detail in one focal area of the picture. I quickly showed him it was possible and today realised this technique would work really well on this scooter photo. So using layer masks and my Wacom Graphic Tablet, this was the resulting photograph.